As winter approaches Kwandrivia, a spine chilling wind covers the lands as a dark force is felt...

Aftermath: Alyss's Return to the World of the Living

The most and arguably only majestic scene of the Murkwood Keys, stands just north of the Whirlpool Crossings. A cove cut deep into one of the Isles reveals a towering waterfall which plunges a breathtaking forty feet from a crag in the canopy above. The treeline is parted above perfectly to allow sunlight and moonlight access at all times of the day and night. The water below, as though by some enchantment, is crystal clear and the bottom is a soft silvery-white sand. Strangely, no beast enters, as if respecting hallowed ground.
Ezekiel
White Shrew of Keiz
White Shrew of Keiz

Aftermath: Alyss's Return to the World of the Living

Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:36 pm

*A soft sound of expanding air would echo across the cove, breaking the waterfall's serenity only momentarily. I would appear on the edge of the cove's pool, standing on the marshy earth, Alyss held in my arms, unconscious. I turned in place and set her body down gently upon the ground next to the pool, dispersing my gravity powers over her to return her to her normal weight, though making sure she would not sink into the soft ground too much either. Once placed, I placed a single index finger against her forehead, energies and powers of various sorts and kinds suddenly conducting through and rippling through her form, causing her being to return to normal humanoid self from its more undead current state...a reversal of the last mark death held upon her. Once finished, I turned away and traced steps across the water's surface, standing upon the pool as though it were but solid ground. I closed my eyes and began to meditate, spreading out my mind across the Murkwood Keys to see what damage had been sustained...all while waiting for Alyss to regain consciousness.*
Alyss Frey
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Re: Aftermath: Alyss's Return to the World of the Living

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:48 am

The sound of dripping. Perhaps it was the last of her sanity leaving her like a leaking faucet. Alyss opened her eyes--no...the space was being opened up to her once again. It was as if she had been in a pitch black room for ages and now, just now, someone was turning on a dim lamp in the distance that grew rapidly in time. She tried to hold her breath only to realize she couldn't feel herself breathing. The light engulfed her, but...it was warm. With the warmth came comfort and she stopped panicking. Nothing else was happening though, so she was there in the center of what seemed like an endlessly expansive room of dim white light. There was nothing else...just oblivion. It was after some moments of nothingness that Alyss realized she was here as her consciousness; there were a few times Alyss thought about sitting, looking at her hands, touching her body to see if anything was wrong...alas, she had nothing to see nor touch. But she could think. She could sense and perceive, so perhaps she still had some wits about her.

"Wits...? If you could even call it that..."

Just as she was beginning to resign herself to being here in boredom forever, Alyss jumped to hear a man's voice. In front of her, the silhouette of a person was coming towards her consciousness, She didn't look away, or rather she couldn't, as if she was fixated to a chair. He finally gotten close enough for her to see him clearly. From afar he looked like a bodybuilder; broad in shoulder and heads taller than she. However, the closer he had gotten, the more she noticed the unruly beard, the slight wrinkled skin, and, most of all, the sharp, experienced eye that could glare anyone down in an instant. At first she thought he was bald, but in actuality it was his hair, stark white, blended in well with the infinite room. His skin, wrinkled as it was, seemed rough like sandpaper. He was an old man dressed in light armor and purple tunic. A matching sash flowed along his waist and down to his ankles. What it held was a dao sword. It had a very straight guard, but an elaborate pommel and the scabbard appeared to be etched with runes of a language she could not read. Strapped to his back was she assumed to be a long spear or javelin based on the length of the weapon. It stood tall even compared to the old man's height.

"Who are--"

"Quiet."

Alyss instantly felt the words die on her lips at that word. The old man began to move to circle around her and her vision followed him automatically. His stride was small as he examined her with piercing eyes. The purple sash flowed with a mind of its own, mesmerizing her momentarily. He stopped, hands behind his back with thought.

" I am Grahden. And you are Alyss Frey. A second timer. Not often that happens. Unlucky or lucky, one may ask..."

"Second time...?"

She thought. Grahden's gaze left her, which for some reason made her heart feel unburdened suddenly, and he instead looked at an orb he held up in one hand. It glowed deep blue, then bright yellow; raven black, then a plum purple. He did this for some time and it was after a while that Alyss realized that he was reading it. Whatever that orb was, the old man was analyzing, reading it. What was it though...? The orb flashed a picture and for some reason she felt like she recognized it. Was it her...memories? Before she could even think further, Grahden made the orb bounce up and then disappear in an instant.

"Last you were here, you chose life without hesitation. Most youth do. It is a natural instinct to grasp for life when you are that young. But now, on your second time here, it appears you've come to a crossroads. Your instinct is not to grasp for life. Yet you do not wish to embrace death. So it is here that you will choose."

"You mean choose between--"

"Choose."

"I can't just--"

"Choose."

Alyss paused, her eyes unable to gaze downwards. The piercing gaze of Grahden had returned to her and her spirit cowered a little. But she had to make a choice. Death was an easy choice. There was no more Sunlit Kingdom. Skye was no where to be seen. She had no family to return to. And her initial goal...she could never find Haseo. With the recent destruction of Escellsia, there did not feel as if there was any hope of accomplishing that goal. Therefore, what aspirations did she have in order to live? But...there was something that made her bite her tongue when she was about to resign herself to death. Something wasn't right. What was it that was holding her back?

Ah. That it wasn't her. It was not in her character, perhaps, to give up when she had a chance. There was more that Alyss Frey could touch, feel, explore.

"Life."

The room had already began to glow a brilliant white before she had finished her one word. Grahden was being engulfed in the white light until she could no longer see him. Her senses made her feel as if she were floating and then...

--------

A deep breath was heard from Alyss's body. The first sign of life and perhaps alerting Ezekiel to her awakening. The silence of the room made her nervous for she could not tell where she resided. The muscles in her body ached and Alyss felt her body be more tired then it ever had been so far. Though inconvenient, she was glad to have felt her eyelids feel so heavy that it was difficult to open them, so she kept them closed. She could feel her throat and mouth, so she pressed her tongue to the roof of her mouth to merely feel it. With a little more time, she could move her fingers and her digits drummed on the floor.

"Hello?"

Unlike in the infinite room with Grahden, her voice did not seem to disappear into a void...she heard it and she gave a small smile.
Ezekiel
White Shrew of Keiz
White Shrew of Keiz

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:52 pm

*With the deep breath issued from Alyss's now life-filled body, my mind returned back to the present location, my own eyes stirring under their lids before opening very slowly. I did not turn, nor really move, except for the slow rhythmic back and forth motion of my tail. Then a grin touched my lips, before they opened to speak.* Welcome back....Alyss Frey... *My voice was but more than a whisper, yet it rolled across the water gently, filling Alyss's ears along with the sounds of splashing water from the nearby falls. The soft, moist earth under her fingers shuddered, as I turned my head just enough for a single yellow, cat-slitted eye to become visible, fixated upon Alyss's form. I remained silent, however, watching and waiting for Alyss to regain further control over her senses...and motor skills. The only part of me to move was my tail...back and forth...back and forth...*
Alyss Frey
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:00 pm

With her sense of sight lacking, the sounds that came to her ears came richer and more prominent. The sounds of the water falling made it seem closer than it actually was and even the sound of his tail swishing in the air was easily picked up. His voice now resounded close to Alyss, making her feel as if he was right next to her ear. It made her shudder and she tensed. Alyss hadn't expected that someone else was here and her lack of sight made it worse, knowing she wouldn't be able to tell if it were a familiar face.

"Errr..."

The spike in anxiety gave her body a jolt of energy and she was able to roll upon her sides, sit up and open her eyes, though very weakly. The sudden intense movement caused a shock of pain from multiple areas of her body and the woman gave a short cry of pain, nearly passing out again. But the sight of his unique blue figure, someone somewhat familiar, comforted her mind.

"Ezekiel, i-is it?"

Alyss said between pants and bleary eyes. Her eyes wandered down to herself, the fountain, the entire room. As she did so, her sight was beginning the grow sharper.

"Where am I...? What happened to me...? And...what the hell am I wearing?"

The woman stopped to scoff even in her weakened state at the color choices of her clothing that the late Ignatius had apparently chosen for her. Sassy in life and sassy in near death.
Ezekiel
White Shrew of Keiz
White Shrew of Keiz

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:38 pm

*I watched Alyss's form further awaken, pushing herself up against the moist earth, my eye fixed as she rose to face me, but not yet to her feet. A small grin curved the very tip of my lips, so slight it might not be noticed, especially due to its soon after disappearance. I had wondered if she would recognize me, and that she did. Now it was time to test her mind with new information...* Yes, it is I......We're sitting in the middle of the Murkwood Keys, an extensive swamp-land located just west of Kwandrivia's main landmass...oceanlocked....More specifically we're sitting inside a mysterious cove, one which normally remains untouched by the surrounding fauna...we will not be disturbed.... *I paused a moment, making sure to catch myself before revealing any more information than was actually necessary...or requested. After a few short moments of silence for thought, I began again.* As for your second question, you have recently returned from death...and undeath. A war was just fought against the forces of darkness, against the lands of the dead...you were once a minion of the Tartarian Ignatius, but no longer...that spell has been broken and you've been....revived. Seems you've been given another chance at life... *I finished, trailing off, my eye remaining rigidly fixed on Alyss even after I spoke. Deciding not to comment on her question of her attire, I fell silent, waiting for mental processing and response to what I had revealed. As I waited, my mind shifted, moving to carefully...silently, peer into the depths of Alyss's mind, wondering about her past since Escellsia's collapse, the time she spent in the lands of the dead....and her recent re-emergence....All of it sparked my curiosity, as did her response to the second chance...*

Return to “Waterfall Cove”